Thursday, September 17, 2009

My interesting food day


For my holistic health class, I have to do a bunch of "practical" assignments, which basically means make and do lots of fun stuff. So, this past week I have made my own creme frache (European sour cream), homemade cream cheese and whey, and sprouts. But today I stayed home all day and make lots of fun stuff. First off, I made a "green drink." Here is what I put in it (and I drank the entire thing, I might add): handful of spinach, 3 stalks celery, fresh homegrown sprouts, a thumb of ginger (yes, that is what it is called), juice of a lemon and a lime, an apple, a handful of parsley, and a banana. I can't say it appealed to my epicurean side, but I did feel good knowing I had all those servings of fresh fruits and vegetables. I think I'll make this a once or twice weekly habit.


My next feat was to make my own chicken stock. It took all day, but the results were awesome. I can't wait to make something with it.

Then, over the last week, I've been preparing a sourdough starter. Today it was ready and I made sourdough bread. It's...interesting. There was no yeast in the recipe, and they turned out a little brickish. They taste good, but they're not so much light and fluffy like I'd hoped. Anyway, it was a learning experience. I didn't take a picture of them because they are simply not pretty. Tomorrow, I am making a potassium tonic (it's gonna taste gross, I already know it) and starting a mint chutney (what do I even do with that, anyway?). Wish me luck.
As part of the class, I have to go on an "optimal" diet for a week. This basically means I have to eat food full of vitamins and healthy fats and such. So for dinner, of course on a night when Jason was on alert because he HATES fish, I made grilled salmon, sweet potatoes and whole wheat and oat rolls. It was super fabulous. I mean, I am only beginning to be a fish lover, but this was some of the best fish I've had yet! I am so proud of myself. I have to give the credit to my dad, however, because right before I made dinner I called and asked him how to grill the salmon and he gave me some ideas that made it so tasty. Basically, I grilled it skin side down first and put on melted butter, sprinkled on lemon juice and garlic and then flipped it, peeled the skin right off and added the same seasonings. Sooo Yummy!! Even my kids ate it, and that is saying something. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture because life gets crazy at the Hope house around dinner time, especially when Jason is gone.

In other news, I'm finally posting Jayden's pictures from his first day at Miss Carol's preschool. He is loving it there.



3 comments:

Marie said...

I"m so impressed, you are awesome!

Magson said...

That drink doesn't sound even remotely close to appetizing. . . how was it?

Nicki said...

You know, it wasn't that bad. It wasn't yummy, necessarily, but it was healthy and truly not too bad. I would recommend trying it just to see.