Thursday, January 14, 2010

Another scary day

I think it may be more difficult to keep Jayden alive and well than it is my other kids. He has a bad habit of putting things in his mouth that shouldn't be there. First, it was medication that he found on the floor at my parents house. This resulted in a very traumatizing trip to the ER (maybe more so for me than for him). Then, last month, he ingested an entire bottle of children's vitamins. I didn't know how this would affect him, so I called poison control. Luckily, they said that he would be OK, with maybe some digestive upset. Well, this evening, as we were dishing up dinner, he started projectile vomiting at the table. It was so strange, as minutes before he had been playing and talkative. After clean up and a shower, I asked him if he had been feeling sick. He said he felt sick since his quiet time. (Quiet time is AKA mom's break time when Charlee sleeps and Jayden is expected to play quietly in his room). I asked him if he had eaten anything since lunch. He said he hadn't. Then he added as an afterthought that he drank yucky water during quiet time. After further questioning about what yucky water he was referring to, he said he had made yucky water in the bathroom during quiet time. I told him to show me what he put in it. He put toothpaste, "No More Tangles," and handsoap in water and drank it.
AAAHHH! How am I supposed to keep this kid alive when he keeps doing this? He really scares me. What, am I supposed to ban handsoap from their bathroom? I already banned kids vitamins. Any advice?

4 comments:

Marie said...

Wow, what a stress! The thing I do to keep my kids out of areas I don't want them in alone is I still have baby locks on most of the doors. They have to ask for help to get into most rooms. It is a little over the top, but I mainly do it because I can't handle letting every room in the house get destroyed every day. :) The only bathroom that doesn't have one is the bathroom that we don't really keep anything in. Good luck!

Jo said...

Sounds like you also need to have some activated charcoal on hand. They have tablets, capsules, and loose. You can just mix it with juice and say "chug a lug sweetie". Man, I am so sorry. Maybe you could also have a house tour of what makes you throw up and what is supposed to go in the mouth.

Magson said...

I'm with Todd, Marie, et al -- It's all about controlled access. My son had a bad habit of getting in to everything and I know I myself would make "potions" when I was small. Both I with my son and my mom with me simply closed off access to places where there was a potential problem.

Flahauts said...

Were you actually asking for advice... or for sympathy? Man that stinks! I am so sorry. Try living in a house where you can't lock any of the doors, and Jensen has been able to open them since 18 months. Hopefully it is a phase he will get over. And maybe send up a few extra prayers on his behalf!