Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cowshare

So, in the last year or so I've been learning a lot about the virtues of whole foods. I still have a long way to go in cutting out so much processed foods from my family's diet, but I took a big step today. I was searching online for organic coops to see if there was anything available here in my new town. I came across information about a farm just outside of town that does cowshares. Since it is illegal in most states to sell raw, unpasteurized milk, this farm sells shares on cows. So you are not buying milk, you pay for the farm to board and care for your cow. So basically, I go get the milk from "my cow" once a week, plus sometimes yogurt, kefir, cheese, cheese curds, ect. Cool, huh? If any of you think I'm crazy and want to know what possessed me to want to do something like this, I highly suggest you google Weston Price and read about his studies. Fascinating.
I took the kids to the farm today to check it out and meet the cows. Besides getting a bit soiled from stepping in cow you-know-what, it was great fun. Charlee was so happy to see the cows, right up until one sniffed her up close. Then she got scared and buried her face in my shoulder. The farmer told us about their personalities, and we decided our favorite is the trouble-maker. She came right up behind James to check him out. He was pretty surprised to see her there when he turned around. Instant friendship, I tell ya.
So, here's to improved health and well-being for my family. Cheers.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Cheers!!

Melanie Arkoudas said...

that is so awesome! I love that you learn something and go for it! Miss you much